Cleaning and Exams
Dental cleanings differ from your at-home dental routine of brushing and flossing. During your dental cleaning, our dental hygienists include:
- Removal of plaque to prevent gum inflammation and periodontal disease
- Removal of calculus (tartar) formed from plaque to prevent gingivitis
- Teeth polishing to remove stains and plaque
It is important that your teeth are regularly cleaned. Effective removal of plaque and calculus can only be done in a dental office with the use of ultrasonic tools and specialized instruments. Dental exams are performed at your regularly scheduled checkup appointments. All regular checkup appointments will include the following:
Dental examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs)
- Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss
- X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions
Oral cancer screening
Examination of the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
Gum disease evaluation
Examination of the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
Examination of tooth decay
Examination of all tooth surfaces for decay with specialized instruments.
Examination of existing restorations
Examination of current fillings, crowns, bridges, etc.
Schedule a dental appointment with us soon so you can receive a thorough dental exam and maintain your oral health!