A denture is a removable dental appliance created to replace missing teeth. Dentures are an important part of keeping the teeth and mouth in frame when one or more teeth are missing.
Two Types of Dentures:
- Complete: for patients who are missing all of their teeth.
- Partial: only fill the spaces for missing teeth along an arch (upper or lower portion of the mouth). Partial dentures play an important role in preventing other teeth from shifting their position in the mouth.
Benefits of Dentures:
- Replace complete loss of all teeth in an arch
- Replace partial loss of teeth in an arch
- Enhance smile and facial tissues
- Improve chewing, speech and digestion
Dentures will give dental support and functionality to your smile. Please give us a call to learn more about what complete dentures or partial dentures can do for your dental needs.
The procedure requires several visits to the practice that are scheduled over the course of several weeks. Within these scheduled visits, accurate molds will be taken to provide custom-made dentures. Preliminary fitting appointments may be necessary to provide optimum outcome in the shaping, color, and fitting of the denture. At the final appointment, the dentures will be ready for adjustment and to be placed by the dentist for a natural and comfortable fit.
Please provide adjustment time for your muscles and tissues to become familiar to the new dentures. During this temporary adjustment period, it is common to experience an increase of saliva flow, soreness, and possible speech and chewing difficulty. Keep in mind this is normal and, in time, your mouth will be fully healed and adjusted.
Additional instructions regarding the care and maintenance of your dentures will be given by the dentist. Proper cleaning and hygiene will help with the longevity of your dentures.